Friday, September 07, 2007

Monthly Sleep Deprivation

Oddly enough, I've seem to have fallen into a schedule of releasing updates
to tf4mono about once a month. This month's release is
tf4mono 0.5.1
which includes win32 installation packages, a GTK-based gui mode
for exploring TFS repositories, many command enhancements, improved builtin help with
usage guidelines, and numerous bugfixes.

I always need a bit of downtime after a release first of course -
working on open source software as a hobby is fun,
but always ends up meaning lost sleep every so often.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing what features would make tf4mono
more useful to you. Better support for locking files? Handling merge conflicts?
Easier building on win32 platforms? More GUI support? Let me know!

The master/trunk branch of tf4mono just got a "stats" command which makes use of
/VersionControl/v1.0/administration.asmx to generate some server statistics.

Here's some sample output:
(~/Source/tfs-lsg-1.0) tf stats
Files: 812421
Folders: 20033
Groups: 481
Pending Changes: 7907
Shelvesets: 180
Users: 184
Workspaces: 154
I plan on augmenting this output a bit, but its a good start.

The most nagging issue for me is actually a NTLM bug in mono that I keep hoping someone will eventually fix. It could be bug
#80687, though I'm not sure of it. On windows boxen, tf4mono never gives occasional auth failures, but on mono it does - especially on a fast network.

By accident, I noticed that I never saw any auth failures when working from home
over a VPN, but at work I'd see the auth failures quite regularly. If I route my
TFS traffic at work thru my home machine, thru the VPN, and back to work I never see auth failures. So it seems the faster the network the more likely you are to see this NTLM bug in mono.

2 comments:

purplepangolin said...

Hi,

Do you plan on adding support for the work flow side of things? I work as part of the .net team at our company and we have Team foundation server, which I really like. When working on projects with a mix of java, .net and web developers + testers we end up using stuff like trac. Trac isn't bad but I would like to have the option to use the work flow tracking from, say,eclipse so that the java guys can use it. Is this a scenario that could be helped by the work you are doing?

jr said...

Are you talking about the bug tracking capabilities of TFS? Or something else?

I have consider working on the bug tracking portions. Having some C# open source code here code help speed up things for eclipse hackers.